Saturday 5 November 2011

plus size active wear For Plus Size

I love it when I see my peeps within the plus community making moves! Such happens to be the case with a dear friend, Danielle Line! As a model, she appears in quite a few places and for the longest she was an integral part of Sealed With A Kiss!

Guess what?

Danielle Line for AdoraOM Danielle Line has teamed up with plus size active wear brand, AdoraOm not only as the fit model, but as Consultant for the line to ensure AdoraOm’s fit, form, and function cater to the plus size woman’s needs!
“Originally, Danielle was hired to be our fit model. As we got to know her on a more personal level, we realized she embodies what we are exclusively about: empowerment through a healthy and self loving lifestyle. Although seam placement and fit are important to us, more importantly, AdoraOm is about relationships, friendships and elevating one another,” explains Jodi Geiger, a founding partner.
Danielle’s involvement to to empower and engage all plus size women to dress confidently, comfortably, and to incorporate a healthy lifestyle. In her new role as “Curvy Consultant,” Danielle will promote the AdoraOm collection, which currently includes active tops, bottoms, capris, jackets and headbands, all made in the USA


.
I just had a minor soap box moment on Facebook around this topic, so I thought I'd take the opportunity to post about it because I might learn something and it might be helpful to others.

In case you've never shopped for plus-sized clothing before--more specifically plus-sized active wear--allow me a few moments to educate you. "Active wear" for big girls for many retailers (and the designers that provide clothing for those retailers) equates to coordinating Velour sweatsuits, overly large bedazzled t-shirts, and "lounge wear." Are you familiar with these products? Let me introduce you to one of them: the Velour sweat suit.

Here's a stunning suit from one of the most popular plus-sized retailers, Lane Bryant.

Here's another purple stunner from Avenue. Do you think Velour catches fire when introduced to extreme friction like, say, when a plus-sized gal's thighs rub together while running?


Even Macy's is in the Velour game! Wow, look how figure-flattering that fabric and cut is! And only $46 for the pants alone!

Go to any retailer's website (preferably the larger department stores or plus-sized retailers, because they're the only ones that have big girl clothes), and find the Women's Plus page. Then find the link to Activewear.
I do a lot of swimming with my kiddo at the local Y. I have been making do with a couple of sub-par suits so far, always with the idea that some day I will invest in a really decent suit. So far that hasn't happened, but here are some that I have been looking at.

I gotta say, I hate that they don't use plus-size models for these suits, but I do adore the nautical preppiness of this suit (although I would probably wear it with a different bottom since I don't really care for the shorts). There's also this classic ruched style, which would be hot on a big girl. These two cute options are both from Woman Within, who has a $20 off $60 offer until March 15 with code WW42146. Be forewarned, though, that there is a lot of "slimming" rhetoric in their swimwear section. I find it offensive, but the stuff is cute, so what can ya do?


Junonia is an plus-size activewear store that sells some pretty hardcore athletic suits, like this one that comes in five colors.

Land's End has probably the biggest selection of plus-size suits, but I have had som ebad experiences with them. They run small, and anything with slimming panels and such are way too constricting for my taste. If you get that kind of suit, size up. Land's End does have this little number, though, which has interesting colors and breaks every "rule" there is about fat girls and swim suits, so of course I love it.

For the pregnant plus-size mamas out there, the options for swimwear (and for any maternity wear!) are slim pickings, but I dug up a few (pricey) options for you.

This two-piece halter suit goes up to a 3X. This one is as close to a classic black maillot that you'll find in plus maternity swimwear. These two both come from the site Maternity4Less, which has a better selection of plus-sized maternity clothes than I have seen most places. A lot of their suits go up to a 4X. Motherhood carries exactly three plus sized swimsuits, and they only go up to a 3X.

Depending on how you are shaped while pregnant, it might also be an option to just size up one or two sizes. If you don't get that basketball effect going on (I didn't really have that until the last few weeks maybe), the bubble belly construction of these suits might not be necessary. If you get one of these long-ish swim dresses and a brief or boyshort a size or two up from your usual, the extra fabric in these pieces will probably give you enough coverage. Or, hell, you could just go all out and get a bikini, but I wouldn't recommend it for the D-cup and up. Your breasts are so tender as it is while pregnant that I can't imagine bouncing around with an unsupportive bra on!

Where are YOU finding cute, quality swimwear these days?

More suits:

More swimsuits
 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...